Varieties of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns saving and/or sharing given web content on a server managed by a hosting provider. There are various categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's take a glance at them. Doing so, you can choose what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to own a website, e-mails, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a service distributed by various vendors, which allows you to share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a particular period of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely inappropriate explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the workload between autonomous stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web page hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a kind of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting type is appropriate if you would like to share an enormous number of pics with chums or acquaintances since the service is generally free of charge. You will get a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to administering your e-mail addresses. Some corporations provide webspace hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you want to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to own as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system supplies.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to run a site. To some extent, it incorporates all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Intraden Systems - Intraden.com, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting solutions that enable you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single place. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse compared to the typical email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for particular web content only.